Re: [Inkscape-user] Equivalent to Illustrator's Gradient Mesh?

On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:03:23 +0200, Claus Cyrny <claus.cyrny@web.de> wrote:
> Kat Tanaka Okopnik wrote:
>> Hi - I've finally gotten more comfortable with Inkscape's gradient tool
>> (although I miss the interface of Illustrator's gradient editor), but
>> I'm wondering if there's any equivalent in Inkscape to Illustrator's
>> gradient mesh tool?
>
> Yep! I'd love to see this in Inkscape as well! :-) I used it a few years
> ago, when using CorelDRAW, and it's pretty nice!

Unfortunately right now the best way we can implement it at present is a blurred mesh of polygons, which is going to be fairly slow to render, and it won't be a real fill.

To do right, it's something we need some support from the SVG folks on; the minimum requirement is simply triangle mesh gradients in SVG; they would be easy to implement and accelerate in hardware, and the other mesh gradient types can be simulated in terms of them without too much expense.

-mental