Re: SVG12: Confusing SVGLoad bubbling behavior note

From: Jonathan Watt <jwatt@jwatt.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:04:25 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org

Scott Hayman wrote:
> OK.  The following paragraph:
>
> 	A SVGLoad event must be dispatched only to the element to which
> the event applies; it must not be dispatched to its ancestors. For
> example, if an 'image' element and its parent 'g' element both have
> event listeners for SVGLoad events, when the 'image' element has been
> loaded, only its event listener will be invoked. (The 'g' element's
> event listener will indeed get invoked, but the invocation will happen
> when the 'g' itself has been loaded.)
>
> Will be replaced with the following note:
>
> 	The load event does not bubble.
>
> Please let us know, within 2 weeks, if this does not address your
> comment.

It has been my understanding that the text being replaced (deliberately for
performance reasons) meant that SVGLoad events have neither a capture nor a
bubble phase, but only an "at target" phase. Since SVGLoad events are dispatched
to _all_ element in the document - and SVG documents can be very large -
changing the specification to essentially say that SVGLoad events have a capture
phase has serious implications on the length of time it will take for SVG
documents to load.

-Jonathan