Re: A definition for "character cell" is not provide in the spec

From: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 17:40:25 +1100
To: Jonathan Watt <jwatt@jwatt.org>, www-svg@w3.org

Hi, Jonathan-

We have discussed this in the SVG WG, and this is our official response.

We are going to define glyph cell, em square, and character cell,
clarify how we are using them in the spec, and will also explain the
distinction between these terms and the bounding box of a glyph.  We
will better specify hit detection as regards text.

This will all be covered in the SVG 1.1 errata (hopefully in the next
couple of weeks).  It will also be clarified in the same way in SVG Tiny
1.2.

We will most likely end up dropping character cell, and using glyph cell
and em square where appropriate.

Regards-
-Doug, on behalf of the SVG WG