SVGZoomEvent errata - previousScale, previousTranslate, newScale, newTranslate

From: Jonathan Watt <jwatt@jwatt.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:05:29 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

Hi all,

This is my third proposal for errata on SVGZoomElement. Please note that I sent
them in order of importance. If time or resource constraints prevent all of them
from being addressed at this time, then please start with my first email on
zoomRectScreen [1].

The SVGZoomEvent members newScale and newTranslate seem redundant since the user
can access the same information using:

   event.target.currentScale
   event.target.currentTranslate

I suggest that these members should be deprecated.

Less obviously the previousScale and previousTranslate members also seem to me
to be redundant. In the rare case where the old values are needed (I've
frequently wanted the new values, but never the old) the authors can keep track
of the old values themselves. Deprecating these members would simplify things
and save implementations from bloating <svg> elements' underlying objects to
keep track of the three old values when the vast majority (if not all) SVG will
never use them. SVG objects are bloaty enough without adding more bloat for rare
edge cases where the user can keep track of what they need anyway.

Note that I implemented SVGZoomEvent for Mozilla, so I'm advocating making my
own work and code redundant for the sake of simplicity and smaller footprint for
the vast majority of SVG out there.

Regards,
Jonathan

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2007Mar/0002.html