Re: Req: Clarify text striping and consolidation of white space characters for nested xml:space.

From: Douglas Crosher <dtc@scieneer.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:14:03 +1000
To: Robert Longson <longsonr@gmail.com>
CC: www-svg@w3.org
Robert,

Attached is a test for some of the cases.  This test gives different results
in a range of SVG browsers: Batik, Adobe SVG, Inkscape, Opera.  The interpretation
suggested may be not what was intended so this test may not be correct,
but this is an areas of the SVG specification that could use clarification.

For your example, below, it would be expected to render as "A B" under the
proposed interpretation.  The two adjacent spaces within the xml:space="default"
elements would be consolidated into one space.  Note that Batik and Adobe SVG
render "A B", but Inkscape renders "AB".  Whichever interpretation is resolved
to be correct, the specification could use clarification.

Regards
Douglas Crosher

Robert Longson wrote:
> Douglas,
>
> If I read your example right you want

> xml:space="default"> </tspan>B</text>
>
> To be rendered as A B rather than AB.
>
> I don't think this is correct. Each tspan should be compressed to nothing.
>
> Could you perhaps post some clearer individual examples using real svg
> rather than your DTP notation describing both what UIs currently display
> and what you think they should display?
>
> Best regards
>
> Robert

text-nested-ws-01.svg
(image/svg+xml attachment: text-nested-ws-01.svg)