Re: Regarding viewport question

Thanks a lot Eric.

Please see my response embedded in your email below.

Regs,

On 7/11/07, Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:01:15 +0200, Mustafizur Rahaman
> <mustaf.here@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All:
> >
> > Can any one please respond to me...and if the question is not clear,let
> > me
> > know, i can try to explain where ever any one has problem.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > On 7/10/07, Mustafizur Rahaman <mustaf.here@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All:
> >>
> >> I read that as per SVG 1.2 Tiny, only svg,image,video,animation element
> >> can have their own viewport.  I saw that in SVG 1.1 there is something
> >> symbol element which can have their own viewport, but symbol element is
> >> not
> >> mentioned in SVG Tiny 1.2. So, my question is other than svg,
> >> image,video,animation, is there any other element in SVG Tiny 1.2 which
> >> can have their own viewport.
>
> I'm not sure if 1.2T is different, but 1.1 mentions the foreignObject
> element.

Yes, i saw foreign objects were there in SVG 1.1 but it was not mentioned in
SVG 1.2T.So, my understanding is if one element is mentioned in SVG 1.1 &
then not mentioned in SVG 1.2T(e.g. symbol element), then it means SVG 1.2T
*DOES NOT *support that element(symbol element in this case).

Is my understanding correct here?

>> Let me explain the problem, so that you will understand it better.
> >>
> >> Let's say i have a triangle which i have constructed using path
> >> element.This triangle i want to draw at three places on my SVG canvas,
> >> but
> >> each of the triangle should be of different size.I can achieve it using
> >> transform attribute, but my problem is i dont know the scale factor in
> >> advance.
>
> Sounds like you should use the <use> element with different values on each
> for the transform attribute.
> You can change the transform attribute in script if you know later which
> scale factor to use.

Correct you are, but as i mentioned i dont know the transform factor at all,
i can't use this mechanism.What i know is only the rectangular region where
i need to draw the triangle, so i need some sort of viewBox/viewport
support.

>> what i want to do is that, on my canvas i can specify three rectangular
> >> region each of different sizes, and when the triangle will be drawn in
> >> that
> >> rectangular region, the triangle size will be changed automatically
> >> depending on the rectangular region( let's assume i want to maintain
> >> aspect
> >> ratio)
>
> Right, so if you want to use preserveAspectRatio with some value then you
> need to use <symbol> (which only works if the viewer supports SVG 1.1).
> Another option is to use <animation> but then you have to put your
> triangle in a separate file since <animation> can't contain a fragment
> identifier in the xlink:href.
> Yet another option is to use an <svg> subfragment in the main svg file,
> but that's not supported in 1.2T either, and <use> is forbidden to point
> at an <svg> fragment in 1.2T.
>
> The <image> element won't work because you can't reference an svg with it
> according to 1.2T.

So, as per above, i think using the animation in a different file is the
only possible solution.Let me try with this to see how it works.

Regards