Re: Error on SVG homepage

Hi-

We appreciate Andrew pointing out the problem on the SVG homepage.  As
anyone who mashes up content (especially feed content created by
multiple users) knows, you're likely to get a few problems here and
there.  I've been tasked to fix up the page, so I'll be trying to
prevent (or at least repair) problems like this in the future.  It's
important for us to eat our own dogfood.

David Woolley wrote:

> Chris Lilley wrote:
>
>> that img is an empty element. Its not part of the image url. It does
>> not indicate malformed html.
>
> It is malformed HTML. It is served as text/html, and XHTML in
> Appendix C compatibility mode relies on typical browser handling
> of malformed HTML [A] (which doesn't, in general, generate the same
> parse tree as a real XHTML user agent).
>
> It shouldn't cause a problem on mainstream browsers, but it is not
> valid, and there is an increasing belief in the HTML community that
> Appendix C mode was a very bad idea.
>
> [A] and mishandle technically valid, but rarely supported HTML features.

Right now, W3C dogfood (Appendix C) says this is the right thing to do,
and while the trend may be shifting, this is not the forum for catfights
about XHTML.  This is a public discussion list for SVG issues, and I
think we all agree that it's best to stay on topic.

Regards-
-Doug

www.schepers.cc