Re: MetaData SVG

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:59:36 +0100
To: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
Cc: Thibaud Elziere <thibaud@fotolia.com>, www-svg@w3.org

On Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 5:33:18 PM, Doug wrote:

DS> If you do go the RDF route, I'd suggest that you also provide your own
DS> interface for inserting metadata, something as simple as a Web form, so
DS> that you can get consistency across all your files, regardless of their
DS> provenance.  You might suggest or mandate particular items (like title,
DS> author, or license) for further compatibility.  Also, you could scan the
DS> file for existing metadata, and let them replace or supplement it, then
DS> insert the RDF directly into the file.

I see that there is an existing library for reading and writing IPTC
(and EXIF) metadata:

and the author notes in future plans 'support for additional image
formats'. One option would be to work with the author to help extend
Exiv2 to SVG images as well.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead