Re: <a> in text environment

Hi Chris,

www-svg-request@w3.org wrote on 02/14/2007 09:35:45 PM:

> TR> and have run across a couple oddities that appear allowed by the DTD
in
> TR> SVG 1.1, but are a bit strange.
> TR>      <text y="75">test2(1)<a
transform="translate(0,25)">test2(2)</a></text>

> TR> Firefox (with a patch I'm currently reviewing) and Opera show
"test2(2)"
> TR> offset vertically and the circle.  Batik and ASV3 ignore the
transform
> TR> and circle.  Webkit doesn't show content for any of the <a>s.
>
> Test 2 is correct.

   Is it?  I had always assumed that 'a' in text was essentially
a 'tspan'.  The need to support 'transform' on 'a' in the middle
of text adds a lot of complexity as well as raising questions.
It's not so bad in the above example but he really should have
had 'transform="rotate(90, 25, 0)"'.

   I mean seriously if you allow transform on 'a' in text why doesn't
'tspan' have it?

> Test 3 is unfortunately not forbidden by the DTD, mainly because DTDs
> suck.

   Yes, I thought that transform on 'a' would fall into the same category.
'a' in text should really be a different element (different content and
attributes) but DTD doesn't let you specify that.