Re: specificity, user style sheets and SVG

On Saturday, February 10, 2007, 3:11:34 PM, Dr. Olaf wrote:

DOH> The other benefit for the author is, that it is immediately
DOH> possible to check, what is really content and what decoration -
DOH> if the 'No Style' choose is not really usable, it might be better
DOH> to use XML presentation attributes as CSS properties ;o)

The presentation attributes *are* used as CSS properties.

DOH> A bigger problem is animation of the CSS attributeType. Because these
DOH> elements are always inside the document and cannot be replaced by the
DOH> user, this will result in complicated situations with specifity.

No, the animation is not affected by whatever rules in the cascade
were used to produce the static value.

DOH> And because the default is auto, this means CSS if possible, we
DOH> get in complicated situations with animation and CSS, too. Again
DOH> authors have in most cases the choice to specify the
DOH> attributeType XML

This leads me to suspect that you misunderstand the use of
attributeType. It only is of use where there is both a CSS property
(not expressed as a presentation attribute) and an SVG attribute
(which is not a presentation attribute) on the same element.

The canonical example is the CSS width and height properties, which
might be animated on an svg element that also has width and height
attributes. Its then necessary to resolve the ambiguity.

DOH> to simplify to overwrite
DOH> animations with (static!) CSS with a user style.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG