Re: SVG and Screen Readers

On Sunday, February 11, 2007, 4:50:01 PM, Dr. Olaf wrote:

DOH> 1. Amaya 9.51

DOH> - alternate view available, title and desc structured as block
DOH>   elements, indented for elements nested in groups, but no
DOH>   possibility to distinguish between text elements, title and desc,
DOH>   a cascade of different sizes and weights for title elements on
DOH>   different nested levels would be helpful, similar to the
DOH>   XHTML h1-h6 cascade - why does Amaya not automatically create
DOH>   such a cascade of different appearing titles if needed? - would be
DOH>   already almost perfect as an alternate text view of the complete
DOH>   document.
[...]
DOH> A structured text view of SVG documents could be a first approach
DOH> of support of SVG and would be a progress in accessibility too in
DOH> pure text browsers like lynx, links, elinks and curently less
DOH> advanced graphical browsers like Dillo or MSIE.

It strikes me that a user XSLT stylesheet could very readily produce
exactly this sort of structured textual view of title and description
elements, either as HTML or in some other format.  Borders and
indenting could be used to indicate nesting level. This could be
pretty generic/reusable.

Of course the UA would need to allow the option of applying a user
XSLT to create a derived view.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead