Re: specificity, user style sheets and SVG

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 03:04:13 -0600
To: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
CC: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, www-style@w3.org, www-svg@w3.org

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
> it seems clear to me at least from your responses that specificity is a
> clear example where the w3c process has not considered users needs.

I'm not quite sure what in my response gave you that idea.

I can see where you might have gotten that idea from David's response, but I
think his statement was incorrect.

If you look at the history of the specificity section, user needs were
definitely considered -- this is why user stylesheet !important rules override
all author rules.  Didn't use to be that way in the early drafts.  ;)

> from an initial consideration of accessibility, the user being non-
> technical needs a simple style sheet that works out of the box across
> the web, if it is to be of any use at all.

A simple stylesheet that does what?

-Boris