Re: is this switch valid?

From: Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:24:30 +0100
To: ~:'' ありがとうございました。 <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Cc: "www-svg List" <www-svg@w3.org>

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:53:14 +0100, ~:'' ありがとうございました。
<j.chetwynd@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Erik,
> but can you advise me whether or when Opera will support the audio with
> CSS as used in http://www.peepo.co.uk

I think what you might be experiencing here is some difference in how
foreignObject is supported in browsers.
In SVGT12 there is an xlink:href attribute on the foreignObject element,
in SVG 1.1 it lacks this.

If you have an xlink:href attribute that will always be used instead of
the child elements, according to SVGT12.

 From looking at the source of your site I see you make some assumptions
that audio can be handled in foreignObject by passing it an xlink:href to
some audio file. That's not supported in Opera 9.x, but you could use the
audio element in SVGT12 if you use the special video builds of Opera[1].

Here are some suggestions:
- if you want it to work in Opera 9.2 and up: make a small html file with
an object element linking to your audio file. Then reference this in
foreignObject, like this <foreignObject

- if you want it to work in Opera 9.5 and up: use the audio element
(switch on
requiredFeature="http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/feature/1.2/#Audio") or
remove the xlink:href on the foreignObject so that the child elements are
processed (I think this is what Firefox does, since I can't get any
xlink:href content to show up there)

Your best bet for compatibility with current browsers is the first option
I think, and you should make sure the child elements of the foreignObjects
and the files you reference are the same.