Re: opacity, animate and mask

~:'' ありがとうございました。 wrote:

> regarding "The SVG WG has discussed this very issue at length..." who on
> the working group has a learning disability or represents the needs and
> abilities of people other than expert authors?

There is a big problem in dumbing down complex technology, which is, for
example, demonstrated by Windows, when seen by developers.  If you make
something appear to do simple things easily, it can become difficult to
impossible to do more complex things with it, and you can end up with
lots of arbitrary rules to learn, because they are there to anticipate
the naive users' behaviour.

For what is essentially an on the wire format, the solution is not to
dumb down SVG, but to provide dumbed down tools optimised for doing
certain sorts of applications, and which produce SVG as output.  You
still have a big problem of course in that you have to convert that into
someone's perception of wealth.  For companies that amounts to finding a
way that they can make more money out of that project than something
they consider eaier/lower risk.  For private individuals, that may
involve a warm fuzzy feeling in doing it, but the number of people who
think that way and have the time and skills may be rather limited.

Windows gets away with it because the average managing director uses the
simple features directly, and is therefore seduced by the apparent
simplicity.  I'm not sure that the average MD would use even a dumbed
down SVG personally.

--
David Woolley