Re: SVG Linking Test Case Questions

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 07:16:45 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

Jeff Schiller wrote:

> - the target attribute is defined in the Frame section of the HTML 4.0
> spec as "the name of a frame where a document is to be opened" [2].
> Right away, this seems to imply that link targets can only be HTML
> frames or iframes and not just any "rectangular document container",
> since this definition is within the Frame chapter of the spec.

I believe that was delilberate.  The problem with frames is that they
are not compatible with the concept of a world wide web of indivually
addressable resources because the configuration of a frameset depends
strongly on the history of accesses and not just the URL.  That'a also
true for the other allowed use of target= in HTML, multiple windows on a
windowing display.

Until you upset things with scripting, img and object are tied to their
initial container.