displaying svg as an img instead of its source

From: velcrobandits <velcrobandits@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:56:56 -0800 (PST)
To: www-svg@w3.org

when i write an html page on my home computer with an <object> that links to
an svg file, the file displays the proper image. however, when i upload the
html and svg file to my server, the html only displays the svg source code.
i've tried to play around with permissions, but that hasn't changed
anything. is there anyway to fix this?