Re: SVGT 1.2: <image> does not support SVG

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 14:35:18 +0200
To: "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Tue, 09 May 2006 12:11:29 +0200, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
> As already noted, animation is a timed element while svg image (and html
> image) are not timed elements.

Ok.

> (And yes, animated GIF should be on the video element, which is timed
> and so allows control of the timeline, not on image).

It should surely also work on image I assume? (For some definition of
"work". Perhaps only displaying it.)

> Tiny does not have any clipping. image in 1.1 Full clips the SVG. image
> in Full 1.2 could, as noted, reference SVG images, but they should be
> static, non-animated images. As Maciej pointed out, if so, this should
> define how to generate a static view of an image. CDF is already
> defining this for their use of html object, and the same definition
> (using snapshotTime) should be used there. SVG images on the image
> element in Full 1.2 will also clip, same as 1.1 Full.

So why is that Full 1.2 and not Tiny 1.2? Also taking in account that CDF
is mostly based on Tiny 1.2...

> The wording:
>
> "If the user agent includes an XHTML or SMIL viewing capability, then a
> Conforming SVG Viewer must support resources of MIME type
> "image/svg+xml" wherever raster image external resources can be used,
> such as in the XHTML 'img' element."
>
> was well intentioned, and was based on experience introducing the PNG
> format. Some browsers would allow PNG on img but not on object, not in
> the chrome, not as a css background image, etc. However, based on
> comments in this thread, we have agreed to remove this requirement.

Could you perhaps point to those comments?

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>