Re: SVG12: animation with indirect values

On Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 4:01:46 AM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> * Chris Lilley wrote:
>>> This seems wrong ("may be inherited"?)

>>Yes, should be "may be animated" - fixed.

BH> Looking at the text again, this doesn't help much, I think there are
BH> many problems and recommend unintroducing it.

Its a clear typo so, no sense in reintroducing it.

BH>  I don't understand why
BH> you think that text discusses this issue at all, and you don't seem
BH> to propose any other text.

Actually I did, if you look.

>>in your example, the rect element. The fill attribute on the rect
>>element is animated from #000000 to currentColor, exactly as the
>>animation element says. The value of the 'to' attribute is simply a
>>string. The animation engine then works out that currentColor evaluates
>>to green which is rgb( 0, 128, 0) and thus, the fill can be smoothly
>>animated.

BH> Yes, if you can show me text in SMIL 2.1 or the SMIL 2.1 errata and the
BH> SVG Tiny 1.2 working draft that unambiguously defines this,

They don't define currentColor. However, the general model applies regardless of the specific attributes being animated or the specific values being used.

BH>  that would
BH> probably address my concern. Considering the complexity this adds to
BH> implementations, I have some doubt whether this is a good solution.

Multiple simultaneous animations, and inheritance of animated values, is not new and is not being introduced here; merely explained since your discussion posited a number of incorrect variant interpretations.

>>To make this more explicit, lets adjust your example:

>>  <rect color="green" fill="#000000" height="100" width="100">
>>    <animateColor attributeName="fill"
>>                  from="#000000" to="currentColor"
>>                  color="red"
>>                  begin="0s" dur="3s" fill="freeze" />
>>  </rect>

BH> I'm not sure why you add illegal attributes to my example.

For the purposes of discussion?

BH>  Since the
BH> new attribute would be ignored, it does not really change it either.

My point exactly.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG