Behaviour of SVGTransformable and it's objects

From: Jonathan Watt <jwatt@jwatt.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:43:38 +0000
To: www-svg@w3.org

Dear SVG WG,

While thinking through the refactoring of Mozilla's SVG implementation we were
wondering what should happen to the DOM objects under SVGTransformable's
'transform' attribute when the SVG element's XML 'transform' attribute is
changed using setAttributeNS. Should the objects be replaced with new objects?
Or should any of the objects be maintained and, if so, which?

I believe it makes most sense to maintain the SVGAnimatedTransformList and
SVGTransformList objects, but to create new SVGTransform objects. I've written a
test to see how current implementations behave, and those that implement
SVGTransformable and that I have access to (Moz, Batik, Opera 9 build 8246) seem
to agree. You can find the test at:

   http://jwatt.org/svg/tests/transform-dom.svg

Perhaps you could add it to the SVG test suite and spec out this behavior if you
agree with it?

Regards,
Jonathan