RE: [SVGMobile12] Implementation specific authoring advice

From: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:19:53 +0100
To: "'T Rowley'" <tor@cs.brown.edu>, <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi, Tim-

T Rowley wrote:

| Section 5.3 has a paragraph that reads "Creators of SVG content are
| encouraged to place all elements which are targets...".  A document
| specification is not the place to have content authoring
| guidelines, and particularly not advice which reads like it was
| written about a particular implementation's performance characteristics.

Thanks for your feedback on this issue. We have discussed this in the WG,
and have decided that it is appropriate to include authoring guidelines
inside the specification, as a Specification is intended not only for
implementors, but for authors. We have carefully reviewed the particular
passage in question, and believe that this does not reflect any particular
implementation, but rather is a stylistic guideline that helps authors
understand the purpose of the <defs> element. Therefore, we have decided to
keep this passage as it stands.

Please tell us within two weeks if this response is not acceptable.

Regards-
Doug, on behalf of the SVG WG

doug.schepers@vectoreal.com
www.vectoreal.com ...for scalable solutions.