RE: SVGT 1.2: SVG fragment identifiers

From: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:58:51 -0400
To: "'Doug Schepers'" <doug@schepers.cc>, "'Maciej Stachowiak'" <mjs@apple.com>, <www-svg@w3c.org>

Hi, Doug-

Thanks for your comment.

Doug Schepers wrote:

| 3) centering the viewBox on the centerpoint of the target element,
| at the zoom level defined by the rootmost 'svg' element;

We think that's a simply brilliant suggestion, and have changed the spec to
adopt this mechanism, since it is more in line with how fragment identifiers
work in HTML UAs.

| 4) centering the viewBox on the centerpoint of the target
| element, at a zoom
| level that allows the entirety of the target element's bbox
| to display (my
| personal favorite).
|
| Syntax could be devised to allow for these most common use
| cases, such as:
|  MyDrawing.svg#rectId(center)
|  MyDrawing.svg#rectId(center, bbox)
|  MyDrawing.svg#rectId(origin)
|  etc.

This idea is a bit more dodgy, no offense. We may add some way to specify
more complex behavior for linking in a future version of the spec, but it's
out of scope for SVG Tiny 1.2. Also, your psuedocode here is questionable at
best.

If this does not satisfy your concern, please respond within 2 weeks with
further clarification.

Thanks-
Doug, on behalf of the SVG WG