Re: [SVGMobile12] the <discard> element

From: Dean Jackson <dino@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 01:04:01 +1000
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

Hey Anne,

 > I think
 > http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20051207/
struct.html#DiscardElement
 > is not clear enough in that only animatable elements can be the
 > "target" of a <discard> element. Given that it is apparently only
 > about that it might make more sense to put it in the animation
 > section.

The <discard> element is not meant to apply only to animatable
elements - it applies to all elements.

We've clarified this in the specification. We've also clarified
the behaviour of <discard> elements referencing elements outside
the document (they are ignored).

 > It's also not clear why the Schema specifies `<ref
 > name='svg.XLinkRequired.attr'/>`. Isn't it meant to be optional to
 > imply that the parent element is the target element?

You're right. I've updated the RNG to be

<ref name='svg.XLink.attr'/>

which means the attribute is optional. We've also added text
that makes it clear that the parent is the default target, for
when the href attribute is missing.

Dean