Re: [SVGMobile12] Connection interface

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:34:09 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>

Hello www-svg,

Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl> wrote:
> In
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20051207/svgudom.html#global::Connection>
> an "API for socket-level communication" is defined. I don't understand why this
> is needed for viewing and simple manipulation of vector graphics. I suggest
> that this interface be removed from the specification.

Hi Anne,

We didn't see "viewing and simple manipulation" in our charter, but we
did see

* client-side on the fly creation of interactive SVG for display
  of arbitrary XML, including XML fragments retrieved from the server

* utility DOM interfaces to allow SVG integration with XForms and
  Web Services, for example dynamic update of graphical presentation
  in reponse to information delivered over a network, or submission
  of XForm results over a network.

http://www.w3.org/2004/10/svg-charter.html

Note that SVG is not "just graphics" but is "web graphics". Dynamic
update over a network is a an important part of many graphical
scenarios, including dynamic content and graphical user interfaces.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG