Re: SVG12: shorthand pointer defintion vs XPointer

Chris Lilley wrote:
> He pointed out an error - that the grammar for an SVG fragment used XML
> Name instead of NCName. We fixed this.

He pointed out that what you used is incompatible with XPointer.  You fixed it
for now, but your fix will require updating if there's another version of XMLNS
and XPointer is updated to use that new version.

So if the goal is to be compatible with XPointer, the change you made is
suboptimal.  If the goal is to use NCName instead of XML Name, your change is fine.

But Bjoern's issue was compatibility with XPointer, not NCName vs XML Name for
its own sake.

> Its a strikingly creative use of "rejected".

Not at all.  He requested that you be compatible with XPointer, including
future-compatible with future XPointer versions.  That request was rejected, as
far as I can tell.  I'm sure you had good reasons to reject it, and I'm sure
Bjoern will be enlightened and see the error of the ways of his request as soon
as you tell him what those reasons were.

Thanks in advance,
-Boris