RE: SVG12: conversion to float vs NaN

From: Doug Schepers <doug@schepers.cc>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:38:33 -0400
To: "'Bjoern Hoehrmann'" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi, Björn-

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
|   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413/svgudom.html notes
| for e.g. getFloatTrait the method will raise an exception "if
| requested
| trait's computed value cannot be converted to a float"; it's not clear
| what this means (any string can be converted to a IDL float), please
| change the draft such that it is clear whether these methods
| can return
| e.g. NaN. If it can, there seems no point in throwing this exception.

Thanks for pointing out this error.  As you correctly assert, NaN is a
IEEE-754 float value. I have changed the text to say:

"TYPE_MISMATCH_ERR: Raised if requested trait's computed value is returned
as a non-numeric float value (e.g. NaN)."

However, because it is a Signalling NaN, we have retained the throwing of an

If this does not satisfy your concern, please let us know right away.

Doug, on behalf of the SVG WG