Re: SVG12: conversion to float vs NaN

* Chris Lilley wrote:
>You don't like it when a WG makes a statement with what you consider
>insufficient rationale. Similarly, a WG is not really aided by a terse
>and unsupported statement.

While your comparison if obviously invalid, W3C Working Group's are re-
quired to adequately defend their decsions independent of the feelings
of any individual reviewer, elaborate discussion of the incorrect state-
ment would just distract from the issue under discsussion, which does
not aid the Working Group either.

>I see text such as
>
>> If the attribute is not inherited, or on the root element, the default
>> value for the attribute is used, if known. If not known (for example,
>> for an unknown attribute, or a known attribute with no specified
>> default), 'null' is returned.

This text (and the paragraph preceding it) were not part of either of
the two drafts I've reviewed relative to this issue, and they both have
major errors. In the text you quote, for example, it is unclear to me
what is supposed to "return" "'null'", and how that is relevant to my
issue (which is concerned with floats, which cannot be "'null'" across
language bindings).

>Thanks for suggesting specific, concrete text that you believe would
>address your concerns. We have a problem with that text,though, because
>some languages seem to return such values while others never do. Putting
>it in a language-independent description rather than a specific language
>binding is therefore problematic.

I am unsure how a language could return anything, but it seems you are
saying there is a problem and it could reasonably be resolved by adding
binding-specific requirements to the draft; I look forward to your pro-
posal, then.