RE: SVG12: event base for audio/video/animation elements

From: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:31:28 -0400
To: "'Bjoern Hoehrmann'" <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi, Björn-

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
| * Doug Schepers wrote:
| >...various spellings of "run-time", ....
| >Is there a preferred term? I am inclined
| >to go with "run time".
| Yes, and use whatever SMIL 2.1 uses most.

In the SMIL 2.1 Spec, the big winner was "runtime"
runtime: 41
runtimes: 3
run-time: 4
run time: 0!

In SVG Tiny 1.2, it is also the winner, but only because I changed all the
other instances:
runtime: 2
runtimes: 0
run-time: 6
run time: 1

I have standardized on "runtime" throughout.

| It is indeed unfortunate that the SMIL specification does not make
| consistent use of terms, but event value syntax is introduced by
|   An Event value starts with an Eventbase-element term that specifies
|   the /event-base element/.
| which is clearly meant to introduce correct terminology and shows
| that "Eventbase-element" is just a random symbol in a grammar, not
| a formally defined term.

I buy that.  I've changed "Eventbase-element" to "event-base element"
throughout (gladly, because the former was a clunky term).

Thanks for your feedback.  Let us know right away if this doesn't satisfy
your concern.

Doug, on behalf of the SVG WG