Re: SVG12: which elements do requiredFeatures, etc. apply to?

* Robin Berjon wrote:
>All the elements to which these attributes apply are now listed in
>the attributes table, which is the normative definition.

The draft now has

  * ... attributes affect 'animate', 'animateColor', 'animateMotion',
    'animateTransform', and 'set' elements. If the conditional statement
     on these animation elements fails, the animation will never be
     triggered.

  * 'requiredFeatures', 'requiredExtensions', 'systemLanguage',
    'requiredFormats' and 'requiredFonts' attributes affect the
    'discard' element. If the conditional statement on 'discard'
    fails, the element referred to will not be discarded.

I do not understand this text; why won't the element be discarded as per
the last sentence? Is that because the <discard> element begins but has
no effect, or does the element never begin? What if .beginElement() is
used on the element? Would the call fail or succeed? The draft notes

  Similar to the 'display' property, conditional processing
  attributes only affect the direct rendering of elements ...

As animation elements are not directly rendered, it is unclear to me
what the draft is trying to convey exactly with respect to the cited
elements.