Re: [SVGMobile12] Question on details of when <script> elements execute

Andrew Emmons wrote:
>> If a script element is modified before script execution has
>>     taken place (eg the xlink:href value is changed while the
>>     script the original xlink:href value pointed to is loading),
>>     what happens?
>
> We do not plan to standardize this since it would constrain
> implementations; some are synchronous and some are asynchronous.

I'm not sure what synchronous vs asynchronous has to do with this.  In both, the
onload event for the script would fire before script execution (as I understand
the WG's response to my other questions); the behavior needs to be specified if
that event handler changes the xlink:href value, at the very least.  At that
point you may as well specify this in general.

> We agree that results would vary, and therefore recommend that content
> authors don't do it.

 From what I've seen, in practice such recommendations are pointless on the web
-- authors do whatever they want or even more commonly whatever their authoring
tools too.  Authoring tools, again from what I've seen, just target particular
UAs (often the ones made by the same company as makes the authoring tool) rather
than targeting a spec.

I'm not raising this question for no reason; we've run into compat issues with
similar situations in HTML.  Please do specify the behavior and save UAs the
pain of having to reverse-engineer each other.

-Boris