Re: SVG12: display:none elements should receive events

From: Rick <graham.rick@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:06:51 -0500
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On 1/29/06, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

> Dear Scalable Vector Graphics Working Group,
>
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20051207/painting.html states
> that elements with a computed value of the display property of 'none' do
> not receive events; this is a very bad idea, please remove this from the
> draft. The intent is probably to say that as such elements are not part
> of the rendering tree, they will not normally receive events that depend
> on the elements beeing part of the rendering tree, which is obvious.

I believe the intent here was to state that these elements recieve no
pointer events, since they are not part of the 'rendering tree' and
therefore have no geometry to trap these events.  Not that they are no
longer valid elements in the xml tree.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20051207/painting.html#VisibilityControl

I would suggest changing
    if 'display' is set to none, the element receives no events;
to:
    if 'display' is set to none, the element receives no pointer-events;

--
Cheers!
Rick