Re: SVG12: getTrait vs 'display' property

* Robin Berjon wrote:
>We have modified the draft to add extensive clarification in order to
>make sure that implementers will not be able to miss a single detail,
>as you required. The specification now details the differences between
>the trait accessors which for backward compatibility reasons can only
>access normalised values, and the attribute accessors which may provide
>access to the original value.

The model is now rather such that display="block" and display="inline"
may be considered equivalent for all purposes of SVG processin, even
getAttributeNS is free to return "inline" for display="block". A more
correct analysis of this situation would be that this breaks backwards-
compatibility with SVG 1.1 content that assumes display="block" really
means display="block". In discussion around

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Apr/0138.html

I explained in detail how the backwards-compatibility issue is a non-
issue and the design flawed in any case. So this does not address my
concern. And FWIW, I got the essentially same response before,

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Sep/0087.html

The same remarks apply.