Re: [SVGMobile12] Interaction with XLink

Hi Ian,

you wrote:

> it is unclear what XLink-aware user agents should do when facedwith SVG
> Tiny 1.2 content that explicitly sets the XLink attributes,especially
> now that no DTD is used and therefore the XLink attributesdon't normally
> have their correct values.

Where the attributes are explicitly set (by which I mean are present in
the source of the SVG content in question), they should be interpreted as
per the Xlink specification (see also your other question, below).

If you meant to ask about when they are set *implicitly* (i.e. attributes
for which default values are defined in the SVG specification are not
present in the source of the content), for an SVG user agent which
implements Xlink, it should supply the default values as specified by SVG,
and for a user agent which implements Xlink but not SVG it should follow
the behaviour specified by the Xlink specification.

You also asked:

> Please clearly define, for all SVG elements, how XLink attributes must be
> treated when they do not have their expected values.

In this case the document is a non-conforming SVG document, and so should
be treated as such. In practice, this means the attribute in the content
is ignored.

I trust this explanation clarifies your uncertainty. If not, please let us
know within two weeks.

for the SVG working group, cheers

Chaals

--