Re: SVG12: discard begin

* Robin Berjon wrote:
>The primary goal of discard is to reclaim memory for content that is
>no longer needed. Given Full content sent to a Tiny UA (presumably
>running on a constrained device), and given that the choice is "keep
>forever" vs "discard now", the best option indeed would seem to be
>"discard now". It might break the content but then so might the other
>option, and it's more in line with the goals of discard.

The proposed change makes it considerably more likely that the viewer
will preserve the author's intent and makes it easier to construct
content that degrades gracefully, which is an important accessibility
requitement. The current model might seem beneficial for viewers running
on constrained devices, but they might benefit from discarding e.g. path
elements with unsupported path commands in the same way, which is not
allowed or required by the draft either. The goal of the element seems
to be to provide declarative means to remove elements that are no longer
needed as determined by the author; removing elements regardless of what
the author determined as appropriate isn't, so I see no reason to
retract my objection to the Working Group's response.