Re: [SVGMobile12] more on data types

Hi all,

    One more suggestion on this point.  It appears that the model Robin
has put forth
is that there is some minimal version of SVG that is required to maintain
the primary
functionality of a page (let's call this is base version) and there is
presumably a
second version of the SVG specification that is required to provide the
full functionality
of the page (let's call this the full version).

   Thus I would suggest that a new version attribute be added, either
baseVersion,
or fullVersion and assign the other's role to version.

   So if we had baseVersion and version, you might see something like:
<svg baseVersion="1.2" version="1.3"  ....>

   This would indicate that you need at least an SVG 1.2 implementation to
make any real sense of this document, but parts of this document use
element's/attributes/values from version 1.3 of the SVG specification.

   Thus a 1.2 implementation would know that it should ignore unknown
stuff,
but 1.3 implementation would still be able to say - ahh I know all of the
elements
attributes and values from SVG 1.3 - so I can be strict with this content
(I would
go as far as to add a "SHOULD notify user of 'unsupported' values" to the
SVG specification in this case - this wouldn't force UA's to notify but
would
offer a deterrent from adding new elements to the SVG NS).

    I don't think that needing to increment/add the full version attribute
when you start including content from a new version of the specification
is a
large burden for authors.  Also some UA implementers might want to provide
a small notification when they only implement SVG 1.2 but the document
uses
elements from 1.3 (if only to prod users into downloading the next version
;).