Re: Differences In SVG and CSS (was: SVGT 1.2: !important is an error)

* Doug Schepers wrote:
>Finally, what issues do implementors see with this approach? If there are no
>significant issues, and if (subjunctive if, not stative if) it is the
>general consensus that we need different parsers, what is all the fuss
>about?

This discussion goes on and on and on because there is neither a good
summary of the issues we are discussing here nor a complete proposal
on how to address them. We rather continue to add new dimensions to it.

Using different parsers for CSS property values and SVG presentation
attributes is an implementation detail. We rather discuss the lexical
space of properties shared by SVG and CSS when specified as properties
in a style sheet, as presentation attributes, in the from/to/values
attribute of SMIL and SMIL-based animation elements, in various APIs,
and the semantics of the lexical values.

All the various details have been pointed out repeatedly on this list,
just like the solutions but they are more difficult to keep track of,
e.g. in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2006Jan/0118.html
Jon proposed, as I understand it, that CSS units can only be used in
the height/width attributes of the SVG element (in Tiny *and* "Full")
and style sheets. That proposal was news to me, and I haven't heard it
since either.

If you make a good summary of the issues and the proposed solution we
can all point to that rather than explain things here again and again,
and solving the problem would be just a matter of picking a solution
and implement it in the errata documents, the drafts, the test suite,
FAQs, viewers, etc.