Re: [SVGMobile12] more on data types

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:39:02 +0000 (UTC)
To: thomas.deweese@kodak.com
Cc: eseidel@apple.com, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, www-svg@w3.org, www-svg-request@w3.org

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 thomas.deweese@kodak.com wrote:

> I personally can't believe the WG has made this change.  It means that
> no compliant renderer can inform users that they have made a mistake
> because of course they haven't they have simply indicated to the UA to
> ignore the value of the attribute.

This is not true. There is nothing stopping a UA from reporting what
values are non-compliant ("unsupported" in SVG 1.2 terminology). Just
because the spec says how to handle it doesn't mean it is allowed.

It is easy to confuse _UA conformance requirements_ with _authoring
conformance requirements_. The two are separate and distinct. This should
not be forgotten. Something can be invalid while still having
interoperable behaviour.

For example, in CSS, this:

   p { color: green; color: 1px; }

...is invalid. The UA requirements, however, are unambiguous: UAs must
treat this exactly as if it was:

   p { color: green }

They may, of course, report the error to the user as well (and indeed,
Firefox does).