RE: [SVGMobile12] more on data types

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

> (1) Ian's model of having different syntax requirements for SVG's
> "presentation attributes" (i.e., properties expressed as XML attributes)
> than for CSS stylesheets.

This isn't my model. It's what the spec you edited currently says.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

> Regarding the lack of interoperability for the following content:
>
>   height="100 user units or so"
>
> I am over on the Jim Ley side of the argument about error handling.
> Don't put the burden on each implementation to have to validate each
> attribute value and don't slow down processing to perform this
> validation.

The spec you edited currently requires this.

(In any case, it isn't a burden. The UAs have to do _something_ in any
case with that content, requiring that they ignore the attribute, or
requiring that they treat it as pixels, or requiring that they abort
processing, doesn't change that the UA has to do _something_. All we are
asking for is that the spec continues to define processing for all
situations, whether technically conformant or not, since UAs will have to
deal with all those situations anyway.)

> The SVG WG should have a test for the 'tranform' attribute for incorrect
> entries such as the example you provide. It is too much to ask for tests
> for every possible incorrect formulation of every attribute, but the
> example you give below represents a case which is more likely due to
> accidental error, such as misspelling 'translate'.

Indeed, it is vitally important that the test suite contain tests for this
sort of thing. For a spec the size and complexity of SVG Tiny 1.2 I would
expect several thousands of tests purely to test interoperability on
non-conformant markup. The fact that all major SVG UAs differ on error
handling (as pointed out in this thread) raises questions as to how
earlier versions of SVG managed to exit the CR stage.