Re: Is the px unit equivalent to user units?

* Jonathan Watt wrote:
>I've not seen that said in public, although I certainly could have missed it.
>An official "on behalf of the SVG WG" statement to this effect would be very
>helpful for implementors.

Note that the Working Group could propose such changes to the SVG 1.1
Recommendation, but it would not become normative without a call for
review of either the change or a proposed edited recommendation. The
change proposal is also not complete as it does not address e.g. the
lexical space of the SMIL animation element attributes or, as you
point out, the behavior of various APIs.

The disconnect between the lexical space of CSS declarations and that
of presentation attributes (which we already have to some not very
well-defined extend that's poorly implemented, think about scientific
notations and escape sequences in identifiers) is an architectural
problem, you cannot use the same parser for both, you might get strange
side-effects for facilities like the Style DOM, SMIL animation elements,
and so on; it's not clear to me that this is a minor problem compared to
extending properties that only accept a <length> to also accept numbers
that map to a length; in fact, we've got lots of implementation ex-
perience for that...