RE: Is the px unit equivalent to user units?

From: <mental@rydia.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:23:32 -0500
To: Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Quoting Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>:

> "1pt" is equivalent to "1.25", and "1in" is equivalent to "90".
> (See http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/coords.html#Units).

Er, no.  "1px" is always equivalent to "1", but pt and in to user
units (for example) depend on the UA's notion of the display DPI.

The specification does say as much and I'm sure that's what you
meant, but a literal reading of your comment is consistent with the
common misconception...

As an implementor, I have to suffer a lot of complaints because
users don't understand that e.g. the pt:user ratio is not supposed
to be fixed across all user agents or displays.

I'm wondering if the language in the spec should be made a little
stronger...

-mental