RE: Request For Feedback: Traits

From: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 02:17:35 -0500
To: "'Cameron McCormack'" <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au>, <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi, Cameron-

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. As a side note, though, I want to
emphasize that this is a discussion about Traits specifically, not the whole
of the uDOM. This is not to say that there are not issues to be resolved
there, but I would like to focus this thread on Traits only.

A couple specific commments...

Cameron McCormack wrote:

| I think it is useful, since I see many scripts (including some of my
| own, when I can't be bothered) that do something like:
|
|   var x = Number(rect.getAttributeNS(null, "x"));
|
| ignoring the fact that units may have been used.

Yes, that's another useful aspect. Thanks.

|     I'm actually not sure if setting traits is meant to change the
|     corresponding attribute or not.  It states:
|
|       Setting a trait value has the same effect as changing a
|       corresponding attribute...
|
|     yet the effect of changing the corresponding attribute isn't that
|     the attribute changes (that's the cause).  I think it should be
|     clarified whether the attribute value changes or not, and it would
|     make sense if the attribute value was changed.

I think we may have reached a conclusion on this, but will defer to M.
Berjon for a definitive answer.

Regards-
Doug

doug.schepers@vectoreal.com