Re: Is the px unit equivalent to user units?

On 04/01/2006, at 7:41 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Dean Jackson wrote:
>>> We have many times suggested a simple solution:
>>>
>>>  * Continue to have the "px" unit in text/css be exactly
>>> equivalent to
>>>    unit-free "user units" in SVG.
>>>
>>>  * If other units are used, convert them to "px" units (and thus
>>> user
>>>    units) in exactly the same way that CSS already requires.
>>>
>>> This is what the specs *already say*. This is scalable. It is
>>> completely compatible with all existing specs and content.
>>
>> I agree with this solution. (I actually thought we'd already
>> decided to)
>
> As Ian points out, this is what the specifications already say. The
> solution would include
>
>>> Then:
>>>
>>>  * Remove the requirement that SVG places on CSS parsers to accept
>>>    <length>s that are just <number>s.
>
> Do you agree with this aswell?

Yeah. Sorry I responded at the wrong place.

If we can have a solution where authors get to use stroke-width="4"
in XML content and are required to use "{stroke-width: 4px}" in
stylesheets, then I'm happy. I would be happier if CSS hadn't
required units on <length>s, but I have a sneaking suspicion that
that won't change.

[of course I mean requiring units in CSS stylesheets, not that all
objects must be stroked with four pixels :]

BTW - I'm not speaking for the SVG WG here.

Dean