Re: New JSR 287 to Bring SVG Tiny 1.2 Support to the Java ME Platform

Hi Björn,

On 3 janv. 2006, at 20:24, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> In http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=287 we have
>
>   2. Support for select SVG Mobile 1.2 features
>
>      SVG Mobile 1.2 is the next-generation profile for scalable vector
>      graphics. It brings a substantial set of compelling features such
>      as support for opacity, gradients, advanced text rendering, and
>      embedded multimedia (audio, video). The features to be included
>      from the SVG Mobile 1.2 specification must be carefully chosen
> not
>      to compromise the important requirements for this JSR such as
> high
>      performance and low implementation footprint, especially for the
>      low-end mass market devices.
>
> Why are these organizations thinking about subsetting SVG Tiny 1.2?
> Isn't that somehow bad for interoperability?

I think it's very early in the process and no one can tell if
subsetting will be applied. By the way, Looking at JSR 226,
subsetting or constraining the uDOM has been achieved without
subsetting the SVGT 1.1 format itself, thus not causing any kind of
interoperability woes as far as I can tell. Let's see 9 months from
now what the APIs look like and what the requirements on the
implementations are.

Antoine
--
Antoine Quint — Fuchsia Design