Re: SVGT 1.2: SVG fragment identifiers

On Dec 30, 2005, at 4:28 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> | 3) It is inappropriate for the specification to talk about specific
> | mechanisms for accessling links in other languages.
>
> I don't think that anything in the passage quoted dictated terms
> for any
> other languages. I think HTML was used as an example because HTML is
> overwhelmingly the language used for linking on the Web, and it
> provides
> context for the inward linking mechanism about to be described.

Here's the direct, word-for-word quote:

"When a source document performs a link into an SVG document via an
HTML [HTML4] anchor element (i.e., <a href=...> element in HTML) or
an XLink specification [XLINK], then the SVG fragment identifier
shall specify the initial view into the SVG document, as follows:"

As written it clearly seems to be specifying specifically the
behavior of HTML4 anchor elements and XLinks.

> | Instead of talking about what mechanisms in other
> | languages should do, the spec should say what  the SVG
> | implementation must when presented with an absolute IRI reference
> | that includes a fragment identifier.
>
> I think that's exactly what it's doing. That's the way I read it,
> at least.

That's not how it reads to me - I invite you to examine the direct
quote above. Note that there's no nearby language calling these
examples or saying this is what the SVG viewer should do no matter
what mechanism leads it to be handed an absolute IRI reference to an
SVG document.

Regards,
Maciej