Re: SVG12: <handler>, etc. vs <handler>, etc.

On Thursday, December 29, 2005, 12:26:16 AM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> * Chris Lilley wrote:
>>BH>   From http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413/script.html I
>>BH> am concerned that the new SVG-specific features conflict with work the
>>BH> HTML Working Group is chartered to develop as noted in XML Events,
>>BH> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xml-events-20031014 section 3.5. It would
>>BH> be most unfortunate if these mechanisms turn out to be different or even
>>BH> incompatible such that e.g. a compound XHTML2+SVG document depends on
>>BH> different scripting idioms.
>>
>>Yes, it would. You don't indicate specific areas of incompatibility so
>>we can only respond in general terms.

BH> The promised specification is not yet available on the technical reports
BH> homepage, so any such incompatibility would be member-confidential. The
BH> SVG Working Group could work with the relevant Working Groups e.g.
BH> through the expired Hypertext Coordination Group to find out about such
BH> details.

In which case, you should feel free to use your Invited Expert status in
the expired CSS WG, which gives you Member access, to post such details
to the SVG WG list.

>>BH>  Please explicitly request that the HTML
>>BH> and CDF Working Group review this section. An official comment from both
>>BH> Working Groups that the proposed features are consistent with work in
>>BH> progress by the HTML Working Group would probably be satisfactory.
>>
>>We have asked the HTML WG to update XML Events to account for namespaced
>>events; they have replied that they can start to do so once DOM 3 Events
>>is in CR.
>>
>>The CDF WG is aware of the work in the SVG and HTML WGs, and tracks them
>>closely, including shared WG membership and active participation in the
>>Hypertext CG.
>>
>>While understanding your concern in general terms, we are not aware of a
>>specific incompatibility. if you have noted one, please tell us about
>>it. Failing which, we assume that this satisfies your comment.

BH> The SVG Working Group's refusal to coordinate with the CDF and HTML
BH> Working Groups is not satisfactory to me, no.

I wasn't aware that you were speaking officially for the CDF and HTML
Working Groups. As noted above, if you have specific incompatibilities
to note, please give a detailed list in the appropriate forum. Failing
which, in the absence of detailed information on which we could act, we
assume that this satisfies your comment.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG