Re: SVGT 1.2: CDATA blocks for scripts

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:26:05 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Tuesday, January 31, 2006, 4:19:16 AM, Maciej wrote:

MS> This is really not a big deal, but it seems completely arbitrary that
MS> the spec uses CDATA for all <script> elements and not for any
MS> <handler> elements. There's nothing in the contents of any of the
MS> scripts that would cause CDATA to make a difference. I think it would
MS> be better to either always use CDATA, or only when needed. But I am
MS> satisfied with no change, since this is purely an editorial matter.

Thanks for your response.

Personally I feel that always using CDATA marked sections for script,
style, and handler makes sense, in the SVG spec, since examples will be
copied and adapted; the additions might require escaping and its simpler
for hand authors if this is already dealt with.

However, implementations must deal with both cases - CDATA present and
CDATA not present.

The SVG specification merely defers to the XML specification on this
matter.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG