Re: Offset or buffers

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:55:59 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org

Hello,

I'm always interesting in such things.
Can you define or give a link to a definition of
'shape offset' and 'distance from an initial polygon'?

It is not quite clear for me, if I understand this
correct. Transformations on a polygon (translation,
scaling) can be already done, if a 'use' element is
used, this can save some space, if done with
the same polygon several times.

Other interpretation: fractions of the stroke of
a shape can be already determined with several
tricks using clipping or masking.

More complex calculations on paths is more useful
to do with special programs or server sided scripting.

About the viewers: There are currently much more
viewers as the Geckos like firefox and the Adobe-plugin.
As pointed out already by Adobe, there is no really need
anymore for SVG-plugins for browsers, because
technical up to date destop browsers like Opera, the Geckos,
Konqueror or Amaya (maybe more) already interprete
a large amount of SVG directly.

regards...