Re: Assumption in the SVG specifications

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:38:12 +0200
To: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@enst.fr>, Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

On Thursday, August 31, 2006, 3:46:28 PM, Dave wrote:

>>So we ended up saying that image should not point to vector graphics
>>because otherwise, the same content would have led to different
>>behaviors in  a 1.1 Full and 1.2 Tiny player.

DS> so you forbid what 1.1 allowed?  I got lost here.

SVG 1.1 was not a timed specification.

When we added timing in 1.2, we split out what had been on image into two, static raster on image and animated vector stuff on animation (and added audio and video).

image is not a timed element in SVG 1.2 (and it wasn't in 1.1 either, of course). video, audio and animation are timed elements.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG