Re: SVG Tiny 1.2 is now a Candidate Recommendation

On Aug 22, 2006, at 4:04 PM, Peter Sorotokin wrote:

> Maciej,
>
> I have first-hand experience implementing both SVG text and CSS layout
> model and I had no troubles building a combined engine that can do
> both
> SVG and CSS text layout in the same module. (Text is a pain in
> general,
> but SVG does not make it any more painful). Yes, the rules are
> slightly
> different and that forces you to have some mark-up-specific logic
> sometimes, but there are far more similarities than differences.
> Line-height incompatibility by itself is actually not all that hard.
> Whitespace handling is even simpler. In my opinion, vertical alignment
> (and all baseline-related stuff) is much worse (and vertical alignment
> affects line height calculation, so maybe that's where your
> troubles are
> coming from?).

Great, is there any way I can try the code and see how well it works?
Or do you have stats on how much of the CSS 2.1 test suite it passes
or how well it works for real-world web browsing?

> But this particular conflict actually comes from the
> differences between CSS2 and XSL:FO, not SVG itself, and, as far as I
> remember, SVG 1.0 had no choice by to accept XSL:FO way of doing it,
> because it addressed internationalization problems that CSS2 had in
> that
> area. I bet as soon as you try to handle FO in your code, you'll get
> into the same (if not worse) troubles.

I don't think the Working Group has made the claim that any of the
design decisions for textArea date back to SVG 1.0 or are meant to
align with XSL:FO. It would be pretty unusual to make this claim
since textArea is new in 1.2.

> [... snip ...] this does not necessarily tell us that combined
> engine is impossible

I would not claim it is impossible. I do think it is more complicated
to implement, and more complicated conceptually for authors working
in both formats.

Regards,
Maciej