Re: SVG12: animation of <color> and <paint>

Hello www-svg,

> We have two value spaces
>
>   +---------------+                      +-----------------------------+
>   | Lexical Space |                      | n-dim numerical value space |
>   +---------------+                      +-----------------------------+
>   | white         | --convert1(value)--> | ???                         |
>   | #fff          | --convert2(value)--> | (255,255,255)               |
>   | butt          | --convert3(value)--> |                             |
>   | currentColor  | --convert4(value)--> | ??? (different issue)       |
>   +---------------+                      +-----------------------------+
>
> This issue is concerned with the convert1() function as "white" is a
> keyword for which the draft defines how to translate it directly into
> the n-dimensional numerical value space.

It seems we agree then that color keywords are colors, can thus be
converted in to a tuple of numeric values, and thus can take part in
additive animations. This does seem clear, natural and obvious.

The crux of your issue seems to be

> My concern is that the draft notes in passing that keywords are not
> additive; the addition of the term "computed value" to this note is
> irrelevant to my concern as for fill="white" the computed value is
> the specified value "white" which is still a keyword.

(Although for fill="currentColor" the computed value is indeed
relevant, which is why it was used in the example).

The draft no longer notes in passing that keywords are not additive.

It also explicitly talks of whether the value can be converted to
a numeric value (or tuple of numeric values).

We trust that this resolves your concerns.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG