Re: SVG12: SVGGlobal::document vs AbstractView

* Doug Schepers wrote:
>After discussion, and taking into account the many posts on this thread, we
>have resolved that since AbstractView is not mandatory in DOM2, it is not
>required in SVG Tiny. We do not forbid its use by implementors, however, so
>we do not believe that it creates incompatibilities with any future Window
>specification.

It is entirely irrelevant whether DOM Level 2 requires implementation of
DOM Level 2 Views, SVG Tiny 1.2 includes features that are not required
either, and it does not include features that are required e.g. by the
DOM Level 2 Core and XML modules.

In http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Oct/0153.html the SVG
Working Group told me that the proposed design does indeed introduce the
kind of incompatibility I am concerned about, it is not clear why this
does not apply anymore, and why regardless of whether there are actual
incompatibilities to be expected, the proposed design is in any way
better

>Currently, the only specification referencing AbstractView is CSS-OM, which
>is not applicable to SVG Tiny. Thus, we have chosen to refrain from making
>any change to the specification in this regard.

DOM Level 2 Style, DOM Level 2 Events, DOM Level 3 Events, SVG 1.1, ...
there are many more specifications that directly or indirectly reference
DOM Level 2 Views. In fact, the replacement specification for the SVG
Tiny 1.2 feature under discussion, <http://www.w3.org/TR/Window/>, does
design the feature in exactly the way I've described.